Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Somehow reading for pleasure too ...

I started this book over break and miraculously still finding time to continue reading now that the term has started:
The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
This might be a bad sign that I am failing to prioritize correctly, but alas. I think movie rights are being discussed or have already been settled on which is always disappointing news.
The book is similar to Philp Roth's The Plot Against America, in that it is set in an alternate reality, but will hopefully not have such an abrupt, lackluster conclusion.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Hi Meredith,
It's very ironic isn't it that we are in a library program and yet no time to read. I foolishly started Love in the Time of Cholera (it's excellent by the way) and got about 1/2 way through. I am having trouble proritizing myself. Sometimes I feel hypnotized by the TV. It's such a great way to space out and not have to think about things...

mahsitti said...

Yeah the irony is palpable. I have just finished a pleasure reading book as well, but that will definitely have to stop for the next few weeks.
I enjoyed the way you hyperlinked to pages related to the book you were discussing.

Joel N. said...

I just tried to read his newer book Gentlemen of the Road & I really didn't like it. The style was too middle-ages adventure in tone and there wasn't very interesting character development. What else have you read recently?

Meredith said...

Joel, I couldn't agree more... I made a valiant effort to follow "Gentleman of the Road" as a serial in the NYT and nodded of somewhere in the second paragraph. I recommend this latest book wholeheartedly though.